Neck Pain Relief
Corey N, Lihue
The team at Hawaii Sports and Balance Center has made a significant difference in my overall health. The professional care...
Hold Your Head Up Higher With Neck Pain Relief
According to the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), approximately one-third of the population will experience neck pain in any given year. Neck pain can be debilitating and extremely uncomfortable, especially if the pain stretches from your neck down to your shoulders. If left untreated the pain can become more severe, and in severe cases, surgical correction may even be necessary.
Your neck is important for everyday movement, and sharp pains can prevent you from functioning properly in your everyday life. Whether your neck pain presents difficulty when trying to sit up straight in your chair at work, tilting your head down to tie your shoes, or even laying down to go to sleep at night, physical therapy can help get you back to your normal, pain-free life. Many people are able to find relief from their neck pain every year through the help of physical therapy, and so can you. Our Kauai physical therapists are dedicated to providing you with the relief you need. If you are suffering from neck pain, contact Hawaii Sports and Balance Center today to schedule an appointment.
Why am I experiencing neck pain?
There are several reasons why neck pain may occur. When someone experiences neck pain, it typically runs from the base of their skull to the top of their shoulder blades, finally settling in the back of the neck. The pain can also vary in severity – some people suffering from neck pain report a constant dull ache, while others report sharp and stabbing pains. Neck pain can also come with additional symptoms, including, but not limited to:
- Numbness or tingling
- Arm weakness
- Muscle stiffness and tightness in the upper body
- Discomfort and pain when remaining in the same position for too long
- Loss of sleep due to pain and discomfort
- Inability to fully stand up or sit up straight
Neck pain is most commonly caused by injury or damage to the tissues or bone structures in the neck. However, certain degenerative conditions can also lead to neck pain. Some common conditions that may be causing the pain in your neck include:
- Muscle strains. The muscles in your neck can become strained by overuse. Even something as simple as sitting at your desk all day with your neck craned toward the computer screen can lead to a strain in your neck muscles.
- Injuries. One of the most common injuries that results in neck pain is whiplash. It is known as a “strain” injury, caused by the head being whipped rapidly back-and-forth, thus affecting the soft tissues in the back of the neck. Whiplash is typically sustained by an automobile or high-impact sport collision, although there are other ways to sustain whiplash.
- Illnesses. Certain diseases and ailments can result in neck pain, such as meningitis, rheumatoid arthritis, or even cancer.
- Nerve compression. The nerves that branch out from your spinal cord can become compressed if you have a herniated disc in your neck. In some cases, nerve pain can even result in a condition known as radiculopathy, where pain extends from the neck all the way down to the hands and fingers.
- Joint degeneration. Much like any other joint in your body, the neck joints can erode with age, causing pain. Conditions such as osteoarthritis can also reduce the cartilage between the vertebrae in the neck, which can result in moderate to severe pain.
How can physical therapy help me find neck pain relief?
Physical therapy is one of the best methods for treating neck pain according to WebMD. At Hawaii Sports and Balance Center, our physical therapists will conduct an initial physical evaluation to analyze the range of motion in your neck, as well as any limitations you have as a result of the pain you are experiencing. Afterwards, they will create a diagnosis that will determine the make-up of your treatment plan. You will work together to understand the goals and expectations of each step in your personalized treatment plan, with the main focus of overcoming your neck pain and recovering as quickly as possible.
Treatments for your neck pain will most likely include manual or “hands-on” therapy, which consists of special techniques designed to reduce the stiffness of your neck and improve its range of motion. Our Kauai physical therapists will also provide you with targeted exercises that will improve, strengthen, and build the muscles and tissues in your neck. They will focus on improving your posture to aid in the recovery of your neck muscles, as well as avoiding re-injury in the future. Additional treatment services may be added to your treatment plan as deemed fit by your physical therapist, including ultrasound, ice and heat therapies, or electrical stimulation.
Don’t let your daily discomfort be a pain in the neck any longer. Contact Us Today at Lihue, HI Center to speak with one of our licensed physical therapists today and schedule your initial consultation! Hawaii Sports and Balance Center will help you get started on the road toward long-lasting pain relief.